Nature Mandala within an Urban Landscape - Buenos Aires

Monday, September 3, 2018

MAGNOLIA YOU SWEET THING

It's Labor Day here in the USA and also MANDALA MONDAY! I just got in from cycling. I am making it my routine to pedal in the morning. On my route I ride over a bridge above an inlet. I usually stop and re-hydrate there and check out a huge magnolia tree. Last year I saw so many of its pods on the ground but wasn't quite ready to collect them. Well I am ready now!

A little voice said back track a bit and note the house number. I had never seen anyone outside. Sure enough the grandson was there. I gave him my card. "When those pods drop please call me. I will come and get them out of your way."

What do I do with them? LOTS OF STUFF. Here is an example. I call her "Sweet Magnolia".

"Magnolia you sweet thing. You're driving me mad."

There are a few more finishing touches to be applied then I need to set my studio lights up for a proper photo shoot. I have another piece that I am working on too. I used an oil stain on Spanish moss in the design. It needs to dry more before I continue. Maybe by next Monday...

Yes - Earth Art Dresses!  It has been too long since I made them for historical sites and state parks. It took a bit of time and trail walking/cycling to learn my area's botany. I AM SO EXCITED! These new ones are not 100% bio-degradable. I have made them to last with wire, paints and glue but most of the ingredients are organic. I need a new tagline for this enviro art work. I no longer can say...

"I don't make rotten art. I make art that rots." These are designed to last.

Oh and don't forget. September is National Wilderness Month. To help people get outside I have agreed to run four trail walks after work on Thursdays in Leesburg so that people can explore 3 different area preserves. We will meander the parks as I point out cool artistic things you can do with foraged organics. But please note - no picking. We cannot take anything from the park except inspiration. :) Check the Leesburg Center for the Arts website for details.






No comments:

Post a Comment